16/09/2011

No democracy in co-option!

Putting apart sour grapes (and my grapes are very sour) elections are the way in which we should choose our representatives. There is something wrong in the way that community councillors are co-opted under the current system!

The rules are that ten people have to ask for a community council by-election; if that doesn't happen then the council co-opts.

In my last experience three candidates wanted to be considered as community councillor - but there was no election.

In my opinion three candidates should automatically trigger an election – three people after the same elected job – put it to the voters!

Surely the very fact that more than one person wants an elected position should automatically trigger an election makes sense in a democracy!

The only reason for co-option should be if nobody had put their name forward for election!

And now for some more sour grapes - Drew wouldn't have stood a chance against me in an open election, so he wouldn't have taken the risk of standing! I would have won unoposed!

So much for democracy!

2 comments:

  1. And now for some more sour grapes - Drew wouldn't have stood a chance against me in an open election, so he wouldn't have taken the risk of standing! I would have won unoposed!

    HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAH we did stand against each other and you lost...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drew, you didn't stand against me in an "open election", you are a member of the council by co-option, a "closed election" confined to community council members!

    You are a businessman, a TV star and a local councillor! Posting childish comments does nothing for your reputation!

    I am willing to discus issues that arise from the Community Council here, but I'm not going to fall into the pit of trading personal insults with you. Grow Up!

    Be reasonable Drew, we spoke fewer than a Twitter of words 6 months ago and I made a fleeting mention of you on this blog once – I honestly don't know why you feel so bitter.

    ReplyDelete